Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

LETTERPRESS RESTORATION: RUST REMOVAL

Day 2


There were 5 days between the day we got the press and when we started the restoration because my family had a get together at our cabin for the weekend. That was a long 5 days, I was greatly anticipating getting in the garage and starting the restoration! So when Monday rolled around, my dad and I got to work! Here are some photos before we began any work:










This was a three strep process: dissemble, clean, paint.
While my dad disassembled the press while I used a wire brush attachment with the sander to strip the rust and paint off of every piece. Eventually I started painting some pieces while he too over the cleaning.

By the end of the day we were absolutely covered in black dust
I used Rust-oleum in gloss black to paint after wiping every clean piece with mineral spirits.

More of this tomorrow and some painted pieces!

No comments :

Post a Comment